12.23.2009

5. Before Sunrise (1995)



Before Sunrise

Directed by Richard Linklater

Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy

Best Director, Silver Berlin Bear, Berlin International Film Festival

*Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke were nominated for Best Kiss in the 1995 MTV Awards


This movie was awesome. Totally in love with it.

Jesse, an American tourist, is traveling though Vienna and on the train meets Celine, a French graduate student. After some conversation, the both of them sense a deep connection to the other and decide to spend the rest of the day/night walking around Vienna. After learning everything about each other, they are forced to part after only one night.

While the entire story is based around these two character’s getting to know each other, the dialogue is obviously an important part. Their subjects seemed to change just as normal conversations would. The setting in which they spoke was also really important though. One of my favorite scenes towards the end of the movie was when they were sitting in a restaurant pretending to speak to their friends on the phone. It was a great way to show the audience what the two of them were thinking and feeing. Normally, I think screenwriters show the character’s motivation and emotions towards things through conversations or actions with other characters in the story, but in this film, there really wasn’t any other way. Another one of my favorite scenes was when they were playing pinball in the bar. It seemed like a great way to shift attention back and forth between the two characters.

Both Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy did such amazing jobs in this film. Their conversations were portrayed so well and flowed so easily that I forgot I was watching a movie. I was completely wrapped up in both of their stories. Their on-screen chemistry seemed flawless and at some points I swear I could actually feel their tension. I bet they became really good friends during this movie- lots of rehearsing!

Did anyone else notice that he changed his sweater in the beginning of the movie? She had the same dress on but he changed from a red sweater to a t-shirt and jacket after getting off the train. I’m sure there is a reasonable explanation behind this, but it bugged me throughout the entire movie. Also, I forgot that people can leave luggage and bags in lockers or containers at train stations. I was wondering where all his bags were until the very end when he magically got them back.

I am now a fan of Ethan Hawke. Like I said before, I think in the real world he is a little to cocky, but after this movie and Reality Bites I think he really is pretty talented. I would love to see a few more of his films!

I wish that I could have seen this movie before I knew that Before Sunset was created. I think that like I would feel a little different towards Before Sunrise, had I thought that the end truly was the end. I guess I need to watch Before Sunset now… : )

On the Becki Scale- I give it an 8.




No comments:

Post a Comment