7.19.2014

Bring A Sweater.

I was telling a friend about the book I just started, The Happiness Project. I know I'm a little late, the book was published in 2009, but I feel that it's a great time in my life to start contemplating my own happiness and how to achieve a happier lifestyle. 



I just started the book but within the first few pages the author, Gretchen Rubin, shares a list of life lessons she's learned over the years. I thought it'd share it with you. 

"Secrets of Adulthood: 

People don't notice your mistakes as much as you think. 
It's okay to ask for help. 
Most decisions don't require extensive research. 
Do good, feel good. 
It's important to be nice to everyone.
Bring a sweater. 
By doing a little bit each day, you can get a lot accomplished. 
Soap and water remove most stains.
Turning off the computer on and off a few times often fix a glitch. 
If you can't find something, clean up. 
You can choose what you do; you can't choose what you like to do. 
Happiness doesn't always make you feel happy. 
What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a lifetime. 
You don't have to be good at everything. 
If you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough. 
Over-the-counter medicines are very effective.
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 
What's fun for other people may not be fun for you- and vice versa. 
People actually prefer that you buy wedding gifts off their registry. 
You can't profoundly change your children's natures by nagging them or signing them up for classes. 
No deposit, no return."

I'm thinking of writing my own list of life lessons. It probably won't be as sophiscated as Gretchen's. More like: 

Eat more cupcakes. 
Light more candles. 
Don't hold back opinions and feelings. 
Don't go to sleep hungry. 
It's okay to be silly. 

Hm. Well, it's a work in progress.





 

2 comments:

  1. Make eye contact with servers and checkout girls, it shows you are a human interacting with another human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read! I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete