9.03.2009

Once upon a time, in Nazi occupied France...

Inglourious Basterds

Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Brad Pitt, Melanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz



I saw this movie again for the second time tonight. Because it is the first film that I have seen by Quentin Tarantino, I was a little confused. Tarantino tends to add comedy to his dramas. At first, I didn't know whether to laugh or be insulted. I suppose it's like watching The Princess Bride for the first time- You don't know if the movie is being serious or trying to be funny. After you figure out his deal you can really start to notice his unique and artistic style.

The dialogue in this film is so perfect. Most of the lines need to be read because they are spoken in German or French, but the subtitles only add to the uniqueness of the movie overall. The actors and actresses had to be really talented in order to pull it off (unless of course you're Brad Pitt, who just stuck to an accent from Southern Tennessee). The way the movie flowed and progressed to the next chapter just was so blunt and straightforward. Everything that was said needed to be said; every shot needed to be there; nothing happened in this movie that should not have happened.


Let me put it this way- I am ALL for Brad Pitt. Some people might say that he sucks, but I think he's wonderful. This film seemed to be a real challenge for him, though. He wasn't running from anyone... there weren't big explosions and car chases... he wasn't battling a unfamiliar side of his character... it was just Lt. Aldo Raine, accent and all.



Something that really through me off was Melanie Laurent's resemblance to a young Rosemary Clooney. Maybe it's just me, but throughout the entire film I was expecting her to bust out with some White Christmas tunes. Other than that, I thought she was wonderful! I have not seen her in anything else, but I wonder how she is in any other role.

Tarantino's entire style and artistic ability just amazing me. He seems to pull off all the shots and angles that no one else can. His way of depicting horror and violence is so obtuse and profound at the same time. While I am sitting there watching Brad Pitt carve a masterpiece into a man's forehead, all I am thinking is "this is so wrong.. but I can't turn away... they would never show this in any other movie..." I am very interested to see what his other movies are like and if he uses the same techniques in all of his films.

As for Inglourious, do yourself a solid and go see it. If anything, you get to see Ryan from The Office cut off the top of a man's head.




No comments:

Post a Comment