1.12.2010

7. Brick (2005); A detective story.




Brick

Written and directed by Rian Johson

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nora Zehetner, Lukas Haas, Noah Fleiss


I really don’t know what to say about this movie. I think I thought it was good. I’m not sure that my own opinions aren’t meshing with the opinions of my friends that have seen it, but I think it’s good.

I don’t even know how to give a small summary of this film. A high-school kid is contacted by an ex-girlfriend that needs help somehow. He then spends the rest of the movie following tiny clues, presented only by the smallest chances of luck, and trying to figure out what’s going on. He then finds himself wrapped up in this love triangle, drug circulating, murder invested plot.



One thing that I know for certain is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is talented beyond belief.

I thought the dialogue was interesting. I understand that it is supposed to be different and unique, but I just didn’t understand it. It wasn’t until we turned on the subtitles that I actually understood what was going on in the plot. I can’t really knock the dialogue to much though because I am a HUGE fan of Juno and that movie’s dialogue is just as crazy.

I liked all the characters. I think one problem that bugged me was that there wasn’t a lot of character development as the movie continues. They have their initial characteristics and personalities and then they sort of stay the same until the end. Each character has their own motivation and goals, but they weren’t personally changed by them. Or they were and I just didn’t get it.

I liked that the vice principal became involved. It was sort of comedic relief. The adult assistant principle was using his students to find out all the illegal things happening under his own supervision. Ha. So, needless to say, I think this movie is meh.



On the Becki Scale, I give it a 3?

2 comments:

  1. Ben's gonna love that Juno outranks BRICK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that yous "reviews" are more like commentary... your blog is one side of a friendly conversation.
    :)

    ReplyDelete