1.08.2010

After Before Sunrise & Before Sunset



You know how there are some movies that you watch a then a few days later you find that you are still thinking about those movies? Well, there are a few films that have affected me that way. To name some- Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Match Point, He’s Just Not That Into You, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are now added to that list.

Like I mentioned before, the conversations in each of these movies are incredibly deep and insightful. Even the quick “small talk” statements are more insightful than half of my life’s conversations. Things that happen to me throughout the day have made me think of the conversations in these movies and for a film to have that impact on my life is just awesome.

Jesse: “You know what drives me crazy? It's all these people talking about how great technology is, and how it saves all this time. But, what good is saved time, if nobody uses it? If it just turns into more busy work. You never hear somebody say, "With the time I've saved by using my word processor, I'm gonna go to a Zen monastery and hang out". I mean, you never hear that.”



Above is my favorite clip from Before Sunrise. It kind of makes you assert those thoughts into your own thoughts. How you really aren’t ever alone, or how you already see yourself picking at things that people do that bug you and how that changes your entire perception of them. For a personal example, I noticed that Jennifer Aniston’s ears are set really low on her head and now I can’t watch her without remembering that. Or how I can’t watch The Princess Bride without waiting to see the blue stunt mats during the fight scene above The Cliff of Insanity. But her point makes complete sense- After you know someone well enough, you’ll start to look for those mannerisms instead of dread them. They will become part of the person instead of something they do. I want to have that intimacy with someone to the point where they know every aspect of my life.

Celine: “I always feel this pressure of being a strong and independent icon of womanhood, and without making it look my whole life is revolving around some guy. But loving someone, and being loved means so much to me. We always make fun of it and stuff. But isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?”

These two films make me want to say everything I have ever thought. All the stories I know, or the song lyrics that relate to my life in some way. It makes me feel like every minute of my life that I am not saying everything I feel is wasted.



Jesse: "Maybe what I'm saying is, is the world might be evolving the way a person evolves. Right? Like, I mean, me for example. Am I getting worse? Am I improving? I don't know. When I was younger, I was healthier, but I was, uh, whacked with insecurity, you know? Now I'm older and my problems are deeper, but I'm more equipped to handle them."

This is my favorite part of Before Sunset. It confused me the first time I watched it, but it really just shows her personal struggles and confusion with everything. (Skip ahead to about 5 minutes in. Apparently the person posted the entire movies. Thanks! )





Her break down was probably the best part of Before Sunset. The beginning of the film is slow and not very capturing. I was just waiting for the end to see what happens. But that whole scene is the most important scene in the film, I think. It completely changes my idea of Celine. In the beginning she is strong and confident, and while the beginning of Before Sunset portrays her in the same light, it isn't until the end that you realize how much their relationship truly affected her. That one night changed her life and she didn't really think about it until she was reading his book.

It's fun to think that every moment you have could ultimately change your life. It may be cliche, but it's true. : )


1 comment: